Laser Dentistry: An Innovative Tool in Modern-Day Dentistry
Consider laser dentistry if you want to try a new, innovative treatment for your dental care. At North Mesquite Dental Group, we have invested in laser technology to treat our patients comfortably and effectively. If you are in Mesquite, Texas, please schedule an appointment with our office to see how laser dentistry can benefit your dental health.
Types of Dental Lasers
When you hear the term “laser,” you may think about sci-fi movies. While lasers remain a staple of science fiction movies, they have increasingly gained a foothold in medical practice, including dentistry. You may have heard about diode, carbon dioxide, and erbium lasers, but lasers are generally placed in two categories: hard and soft tissue lasers.
- Soft tissue lasers: These lasers are easily absorbable by water and hemoglobin, making them suitable for soft tissues, such as the gums. Once these lasers penetrate the soft tissues, they seal the blood vessels and nerve linings, speeding up the healing process.
- Hard tissue lasers: These lasers have a wavelength highly penetrable in hydroxyapatite found in hard tissues like teeth and bones. Hard lasers cut your hard structures with extreme accuracy. Hence, they are used in reshaping your teeth.
Most dentists have separate machines for soft and hard tissue lasers. However, technological advancements have led to the development of dental devices that can generate soft and hard tissue lasers.
How Laser Technology is Applied in Dentistry
Lasers debuted in dentistry way back in 1994, and since then, they have undergone significant innovations to ensure they are widely used in dentistry. Dental lasers have numerous uses in dentistry, and Dr. Tina Foss may recommend lasers to:
- Accelerate the teeth whitening treatment
- Treat gum disease by removing and disinfecting the diseased tissue
- Prepare your tooth for a dental filling
- Recontouring your gums to correct a gum smile
- Treat children with a tongue-tie
- Treat cold or canker sores
To find out about laser treatments available at North Mesquite Dental Group, don’t hesitate to contact us at (972) 619-7763 or book your appointment online. With laser dentistry, you are looking at a reduced recovery period, painless treatment, and a happy dental experience.