Teeth can wear down over time. Even if you do everything you can to protect them, they still age just as any other part of your body does. However, that does not mean you are doomed to toothless mouth when you are older, because a healthy set of adult teeth can last a lifetime. Here are some important facts to remember about our teeth as we age:
– The health of your teeth depends on brushing and flossing daily. Be sure to brush your teeth twice per day and floss at least once per day.
– As you age, your arm and hand muscles and ligaments may deteriorate, which can make brushing and flossing more difficult. If this happens, there are alternative tools that can be used to make your oral hygiene habits easier, including electric toothbrushes and water flossers.
– Keeping your teeth healthy includes quitting any bad habits that constantly put them at risk, including smoking tobacco and using drugs.
– Some medications are necessary for optimum health in your twilight years, but many produce the side effect of dry mouth. Dry mouth is dangerous for your teeth as it can increase your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– If your teeth are giving you any problems or cause for concern, contact your dentist when possible. Try to attend regular oral exams and always have professional cleanings at least twice a year.
– Be careful what you eat, because as you age your teeth are more brittle and vulnerable to cracking, splitting, and breaking.
Dr. Tina Foss and our team at North Mesquite Dental will ensure that you get the care and quality your smile requires. If you would like to come visit us at our dentist office in Mesquite, Texas, please schedule an appointment at 972-686-6477. Come in today to learn all about the joys of a tooth replacement!