Did you know that your teeth are extremely sensitive after eating meals? This is because acids can slowly begin to wear down your tooth enamel temporarily and leave your teeth extra sensitive to dental abrasion. Due to the fact that some toothpaste and toothbrushes can be slightly abrasive, it may not be a good idea to brush immediately after eating. Instead, you can help clean away any debris in your mouth through the use of alternative treatments such as chewing sugarless gum. The benefits of chewing gum are as follows:
– By chewing sugarless gum for a period of 20 minutes after meals, studies have shown that it can effectively help prevent cavities.
– Chewing gum is non-abrasive and extremely effective when being used after meals when your teeth are extra sensitive. Never used toothbrushes or toothpaste after meals as your teeth can suffer additional abrasion.
– Sugarless chewing gum should not be used as a complete replacement for either brushing or flossing, but instead should be used as a supplemental tool for your health care routine.
– Chewing gum has also been shown to aid in the prevention and treatment of heartburn. Chewing gum can produce saliva which will neutralize the acids and wash them away.
– Always focus on using sugar-free gum as it does not contain sugar.
– Chewing gum is extremely beneficial for the production of saliva. Saliva is a known substance produced in your mouth for washing away debris, neutralizing harmful acids, and providing disease-fighting substances for your mouth.
For more oral health care tips including chewing gum, or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Tina Foss and our team at our dentist office in Mesquite, Texas, please contact North Mesquite Dental at [phone].